- This event has passed.
Welcome Home Workshop
February 17 @ 9:30 am - 4:00 pmFree
What this workshop is about
Home is a vital part of our lives. It not only provides us with security, privacy, comfort and control but it reflects our identity, our deep sense of who we are and how we connect and belong in our neighborhood. Yet for many people, particularly with intellectual disability and Autism, home is designed by others with little control over the decisions that most people take for granted. In this workshop, through the journey of others, we will explore innovative and interesting ways to empower and assist individuals to create a home they can call their own.
What we will discuss in this workshop:
• What does it really mean to have your own home and is it possible?
• Creating and holding a personalised vision for home
• How to address individual needs
• How to develop a creative range of supports
• Choosing who to live with
• Ways of managing your supports
• The Individual Supported Living (ISL) framework
• Stories about people living in their own home with a range of supports
This is a practical workshop that will use interactive exercises, reflection and discussion.
Who is this workshop for?
This workshop will be of interest to people with a disability, mental illness or other vulnerabilities, families, advocates and professionals. Everyone is welcome.