The Disability Information Helpline provides information and referrals for people with disability who need help because of coronavirus (COVID-19).
Who can access the Helpline?
- people with disability
- family members of people with disability
- support workers
When is the Helpline available?
- Monday to Friday: 8am – 8pm (AEST)
- Saturday and Sunday: 9am – 7pm (AEST)
- Unavailable on public holidays
The Helpline is free and can be contacted by:
- Phone call (free call): 1800 643 787
- If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can also call the National Relay Service on 133 677
- If you require support in another language, you can use the Translating and Interpreting Services (TIS National) free of charge by asking for an interpreter or call TIS on 131 450 and ask to be connected to the Disability Information Helpline on 1800 643 787
- Live chat: click on this link and the live chat option is at the bottom of the screen in the right corner
How is the Disability Information Helpline funded?
- By the Australian Government
Does the Helpline have COVID-19 accessible resources?
Yes – see below resources:
- Coronavirus – What is it? – easy Read
- Coronavirus – 5 things to do right now – easy Read
- Coronavirus: What do you need to know? – easy read
- Coronavirus: Frequently Asked Questions – easy read
- Coronavirus: Social distancing – easy read
- Coronavirus: Staying at home – easy read
- Auslan version of the Disability Information Helpline
- Auslan version of Coronavirus (COVID-19) accessible resources
- Auslan version of the Who else can you talk to?
- Auslan version of Looking after yourself
- Auslan version of Support for your situation
- Auslan version of Helping others
Can the Helpline provide Advocacy?
- Yes – the Helpline will refer you to an Advocate (support will be provided over the phone or email)
Can the Helpline provide Counselling?
- Yes – the Helpline will provide a referral
- Independent and confidential emotional support will be provided for free
- Long term counselling referrals for ongoing support can also be provided
For more information click here.
Source: Australian Government