These are resources designed to assist you in considering and setting up a sole trader business. They do not constitute professional or legal advice from DEAI.
DEAI strongly advises new graduates to gain 3-5 years experience as an employee of a business, NFP or agency before considering private practice.
It is recommended that you obtain financial and legal advice before starting any business.
NDIS and Sole Trader overview from National Disability Practitioners
If considering becoming a sole trader membership of National Disability Practitioners can enhance your practice.
Lawpath provides accessible and affordable legal documentation and advice.
SA Child Safe Compliance
Child safe environments compliance statement with DHS – Lodging a compliance statement is a mandatory requirement for:
- state authorities (as defined at S16 of the Children and Young People (Safety) Act 2017)
- persons or bodies who provide a service or undertake an activity that constitutes child-related work under the Child Safety (Prohibited Persons) Act 2016,
- Organisations in this context include sole traders or people working in partnerships. Organisations must lodge a compliance statement with the Department of Human Services.
Child safety compliance resources:
- https://childsafe.humanrights.gov.au/sites/default/files/inline-files/CSO%20Child%20Safety%20and%20Wellbeing%20Policy%20template_0.pdf (policy template)
NDIS Code of Conduct (NDIS Providers) – The NDIS Code of Conduct promotes safe and ethical service delivery by setting out expectations for the conduct of both NDIS providers and workers.
The NDIS Code of Conduct: Guidance for Service Providers -The NDIS Code of Conduct Guidance for Providers provides guidance to NDIS providers, including NDIA community partners, about complying with the NDIS Code of Conduct. The guidance provides information and examples about what the Code of Conduct means in practice.
The Positive Behaviour Support Capability Framework – focuses on the knowledge and skills that underpin contemporary evidence-based practice. NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission.
Self-assessment Resource Guide for the Positive Behaviour Support Capability Framework – This Self-assessment Resource Guide complements the Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) Capability Framework. Its broad purpose is to provide guidance to behaviour support practitioners (whether they are registered providers, or employed or otherwise engaged by registered providers) on how to assess their own capabilities against the PBS Capability Framework. NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission.
Tele Practice Resources
- A practical guide to working with children and families through telehealth (Ben Rogers, 2020) – This resource aims to develop your knowledge and confidence in using telehealth with children and families. It will provide you with practical ideas on where to start, how to prepare and what to do during a session.
- RIDBC Teleschool: Guiding Principles for Telepractice – $4.99
The role of telehealth now and post the pandemic – new podcast ep live by AHPA.
- Staying connected through Telepractice – Pearson Assessments.
- A list of useful guidelines for developing telehealth services – Australian Telehealth Society.
- OTA Telehealth Guidelines 2020 – Occupational Therapy Australia.
- Telepractice in Speech Pathology – Speech Pathology Australia.
My Health Record in allied health – Australian Digital Health Agency.
Australian Privacy Principles – Office of the Australian Information Commisioner
Gap Analysis Tool (DSC) – From Disability Services Consulting (WA).
My Health Record in allied health – Contains information for allied health professionals looking to register for My Health Record and learn more about the system.
Practical Guide to operating in the NDIS – This document provides guidance to NDIS providers as they change and adapt to the new systems and processes introduced by NDIS. Topics included in this resource have been selected in response to feedback from the sector.
Disability Consulting Services Vulnerablility Indicator Guide – Risk Assessment
Home Visit Assessment Checklist – Home visiting safety checklist
Disability Services Consulting – Information website regarding all things NDIS.